Culture is distinguishable
- Shared with members.
- Encompasses internal variety.
Culture is created
- Invented and evolved (not innate).
- Collective choices in response to environment, experience, events, etc.
Culture is systemic
- Interrelated relationships, subsystems.
- Internally meaningful.
Culture is learned
- Transmitted intergenerationally through institutional process.
- Internalized through socialization of children.
- Supported by images and sanctions.
Culture is pervasive and largely unexamined
- The “water we swim in.”
- Touches every aspect of human endeavor.
Culture is binding.
- Anxiety (Culture shock happens when it is confronted or challenged).