Based on a presentation given by Karl Ostrom, Spring of 2004
- We all need Security, Belonging, and Empowerment.
(cf.: Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs)
- We seek to address each of these needs in as many avenues as possible, primarily in the areas of
- Personal connections
- Workplace connections
- Communities to which we belong
- A deficiency of satisfying a given need in one area means it becomes all the more important to ensure that it is satisfied in at least one of the other areas.
- Fully satisfying one need in one area lessens the importance of getting that same need met elsewhere.